Manufacturing & Supply Chain

Enterprise Ireland announces client exports of €34.57 billion in 2023

 Breaking News

Enterprise Ireland announces client exports of €34.57 billion in 2023

Enterprise Ireland announces client exports of €34.57 billion in 2023
July 02
09:52 2024
Spread the love

Enterprise Ireland, the Irish government’s trade and innovation agency, has announced that client exports reached a record €34.57 billion in 2023, a new record for Irish exporters, supported by the Agency. Overall non-food exports increased by 8%.

The Agency reported that by the end of 2023, it had surpassed its 2024 target of achieving a 10% increase in the number of companies achieving sales greater than €10 million, €20 million and €50 million. At the end of 2023, a year ahead of target, over 20% growth in each category had been achieved.

Technology and Services exports were up 10% to €8.49 billion. Industrial and Lifesciences exports were up by 7% to €10.384 billion, while Food and Sustainability exports were down by 4% to €15.691 billion, largely impacted by international dairy sales and prices.

The UK, the largest export market for Enterprise Ireland client companies, accounting for 29% of total exports, grew by 6% to €9.97 billion. Food exports grew by 7% to €4.76 billion. Industrial & Lifesciences exports grew 3% to €3.25 billion, while Technology and Services were up 8% to €1.96 billion in 2023.

Exports to the Eurozone, the second largest export market for Enterprise Ireland client companies, accounting for 25% of total exports, grew by 2% to €8.61 billion in 2023. Food and Sustainability exports of €4.28 billion were down 6%, while Industrial and Lifesciences exports of €2.86 billion increased by 9%, and Technology and Services exports were up 19% to €1.47 billion.

The largest export markets in the Eurozone are Germany, France and the Netherlands. Exports to Germany increased by 14% to €2.33 billion while exports to France were up 5% to €1.82 billion. Exports to the Netherlands were down 13% to €1.75 billion.

The third largest export market, accounting for 19% of total exports is North America. In 2023, exports to the region were up by 5% to €6.48 billion. Of which €5.9 billion exports were to the USA. Overall, non-food exports to North America, were up 8%. Technology and Services grew by 8% to €2.95 billion, and Industrial & Lifesciences exports were up 7% to €2.22 billion.

Enterprise Ireland client companies spent €39.3 billion in the Irish economy in 2023, including €11.7 billion on payroll.

Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Peter Burke TD, said: “Across a variety of sectors and international markets, Irish exporters have made significant gains and continue to grow their influence internationally, despite a more challenging international business environment and rising costs. Irish exporters are a critical component of the Irish economy, and the government is committed to supporting this sector to scale to further heights in the years ahead.”

Leo Clancy, CEO of Enterprise Ireland, said: “The results reflect the ambition and tenaciousness of Irish entrepreneurs, who with the support of Enterprise Ireland’s team are scaling internationally at an accelerated pace, with strong gains in key sectors, markets and sales growth by clients.

“Irish exporters have remained committed to investing in the UK, our largest trading partner, and the 6% growth in exports justifies that commitment. While the Eurozone grew by a more modest 2% this can be largely attributed to Food exports to the region being down by 6%. Technology, Industrial and Lifesciences exporters continue to thrive in North America, particularly the USA, with exports in these combined sectors up 8% to €5.17 billion.

“Overall, Industrial, Lifesciences and Construction exports have surpassed €10 billion exports and reflective of the calibre of Irish software being produced, we would expect Technology and International Services exports will also reach that €10 billion milestone.

“Our mission is to accelerate Ireland’s economy with robust job growth and export gains worldwide. As we focus on business growth and expansion, sustainability, productivity and digitalisation will be high on our agenda.”


Pictured left to right are: Michael Carey, Enterprise Ireland Chairman; Jenny Melia, Executive Director, Enterprise Ireland; Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Peter Burke TD; and Enterprise Ireland CEO, Leo Clancy.

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/manufacturingsup/public_html/wp-content/themes/legatus-theme/includes/single/post-tags.php on line 5

About Author



Related Articles



New Subscriber

    Subscribe Here


    National Manufacturing Conference & Exhibition 2020

    NIBRT Springboard Success Stories